What is Amazon Smile?
AmazonSmile is a simple way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is available at smile.amazon.com on your web browser and can be activated in the Amazon Shopping app for iOS and Android phones. When you shop AmazonSmile, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added benefit that AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can choose from over one million organizations to support.
How does Amazon Smile Work?
When first visiting smile.amazon.com, customers are prompted to select a charitable organization from over one million eligible organizations. To browse or shop at AmazonSmile, customers must first select a charitable organization. For eligible purchases through AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the customer’s selected charitable organization.
Do I have to renew AmazonSmile?
Yes! AmazonSmile renewals happen twice a year to help keep AmazonSmile on mobile app. AmazonSmile will notify you of these renewals via push notifications and through in-app notifications. If you miss a renewal you can reactivate at any time by repeating the steps to “turn on” AmazonSmile on your mobile device. There is no renewal period for browser shopping on AmazonSmile, which you can use anytime by typing ‘smile.amazon.com’ into your browser.
Is there any cost to charitable organizations or to customers?
No. There is no cost to charitable organizations or to AmazonSmile customers. The shopping experience is identical to Amazon.com with the added benefit that the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate to the charitable organizations selected by customers.
How to Sign up for Amazon Smile on Mobile
Please note this should be used if you primarily make amazon purchases via your mobile device. If you also make purchases on your desktop, please also follow those instructions.
- Using the normal Amazon Shopping application, Open the app and find AmazonSmile in the main menu (☰). It should be located under Program & Features.
- Search for ‘Night Owl Reconnaissance’ and select as your charitable organization.
- You can now use the Amazon Shopping application normally.
How to Sign up for Amazon Smile on Desktop
Please note this should be used if you primarily make amazon purchases via your desktop. If you also make purchases on your mobile device, please also follow those instructions.
- Click on the following URL: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/84-3642198
- You should see a screen similar to below. You have now selected Night Owl Reconnaissance as your Amazon smile charitable organization.
- Please ensure that if you plan on using amazon on your PC, you also follow the instructions on adding the addon.
How to use Amazon Smile on Desktop
AmazonSmile requires the consumer to shop via smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com. There are extensions available for most major browsers that will automatically redirect from Amazon to AmazonSmile. The following is an example of an extension for Google Chrome:
- Visit the following URL: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/always-smile/fpaapignoneonaghhkoddkghglbppdmg?hl=en
- Click Add to Chrome, and then click ‘Add extension’ in the dialog box.
- You can now test by attempting to go to amazon.com and see the extension redirect you to smile.amazon.com.